End of life for SAFe 3.0 website and courseware 12/30/16
As we continually improve SAFe to better meet the needs of our customers, there comes a time when it’s no longer practical to support older versions of the Framework. This is part of any technology product’s lifecycle, and it is no different with SAFe.
On December 30, 2016, all SAFe 3.0 courseware and materials will be retired. As a result, the SAFe 3.0 website (v3.scaledagileframework.com) will redirect to the 4.0 Framework site, and 3.0 courseware will no longer be available.
Though we will no longer be supporting SAFe 3.0, we recognize that there are enterprises that will continue to want the simpler ‘classic’ 3.0 version. That is why we designed SAFe 4.0 to be backwards compatible so that 3.0 users can migrate easily to the current version using the default ‘3-Level’ view of SAFe 4.0.
Our 3.0 courses have been replaced with ones that better support the benefits that can be gained with SAFe 4.0:
Top 10 Reasons to Upgrade to SAFe 4.0
If you need a reminder about why you want to be practicing the latest version of SAFe, here is the rundown:
Version 4 features extensive refinements to many elements of the Framework, as well as new content and guidance that helps enterprises better organize around value delivery, develop systems that include hardware and software, and improve development, coordination, and delivery of large value streams.
Below is a summary of the major content changes to SAFe; for the indepth view please refer to What’s New in SAFe 4.0.
- SAFe now supports both software and systems development
- A new Value Stream level—including new roles, activities, and artifacts—is provided for those building the world’s largest systems
- The Big Picture can be expanded or collapsed to three or four levels. The default view is the three-level version (3-Level SAFe), which is simpler and lighter weight than its 3.0 predecessor. Three-Level SAFe is backwards compatible with SAFe 3.0, so those currently operating with 3.0 can continue to do so, or migrate easily to this new version.
- With one click, the Framework expands to four levels (4-Level SAFe) to handle the most demanding needs of large value streams and complex systems development
- Enterprise Kanban systems manage the flow of work across all levels
- The SAFe Requirements Model has been updated to reflect additional backlog items and to clarify the expressions for each
- Built-in Quality practices now support software and systems development
- A new Foundations layer supports those critical underpinnings that drive the Framework and program execution
- A new Spanning palette carries roles and artifacts applicable to multiple levels, increasing modularity and customizability
- An improved main menu bar provides quick and easy access to information on SAFe training, implementation, partner support, community, resources, and more
Again, on December 30, 2016, all SAFe 3.0 courseware and materials will be retired, so make sure to migrate as soon as possible. You can learn about all the SAFe 4.0 courses at scaledagile.com/which-course. If you need support in making the transition, there are over 100 Scaled Agile Partners actively supporting SAFe 4.0 in over 35 countries, and they are ready and available to help you move to the best and latest version of SAFe.
—Dean and team