Welcome to SAFe 4.0!
We are excited to announce this new release of the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®). Version 4 features extensive refinements to many elements of the Framework, as well as new content and guidance that helps enterprises better organize around value delivery, develop systems that include hardware and software, and improve development, coordination, and delivery of large value streams.
To help with the migration to 4.0, SAFe 3.0 remains available and supported at v3.scaledagileframework.com.
SAFe 4.0 incorporates learning from all prior releases—including the SAFe for Lean System Engineering development branches—into a single, more scalable and more modular framework. To address the broader set of capabilities, SAFe has a new name: SAFe 4.0 for Lean Software and Systems Engineering.
Below is a summary of the major content changes to SAFe; for the in-depth view, please refer to What’s New in SAFe 4.0. We have also created a FAQ to help you quickly find answers to commonly asked questions about SAFe 4.0.
- SAFe now supports both software and systems development
- A new Value Stream Level—including new roles, activities, and artifacts—is provided for those building the world’s largest systems
- The Big Picture can be expanded or collapsed to three or four levels. The default view is the three-level version (3-Level SAFe), which is simpler and lighter weight than its 3.0 predecessor. Three-Level SAFe is backwards compatible with SAFe 3.0, so those currently operating with 3.0 can continue to do so, or migrate easily to this new version.
- With one click, the Framework expands to four levels (4-Level SAFe) to handle the most demanding needs of large value streams and complex systems development
- Enterprise Kanban systems manage the flow of work across all levels
- The SAFe Requirements Model has been updated to reflect additional backlog items and to clarify the expressions for each
- Built-in Quality practices now support software and systems development
- A new Foundations layer supports those critical underpinnings that drive the Framework and program execution
- A new Spanning palette carries roles and artifacts applicable to multiple levels, increasing modularity and customizability
- An improved main menu bar provides quick and easy access to information on SAFe training, implementation, partner support, community, resources, and more
In addition to the new 4.0 content, all the 3.0 articles have been updated as well, so there’s much to learn, and gain. For those of you certified as SPCs, we’ve provided a What’s New in SAFe 4.0 Video that will help you learn about the new features, and upgrade your certification so that you can support enterprises seeking SAFe 4.0 implementation.
It is our sincere hope that this new version helps you and your enterprise achieve the benefits you all deserve for working so hard at building the world’s biggest, and best, software and systems. And, as always, SAFe knowledge remains freely revealed, for all to use.
We owe a special thanks to you, our SAFe community, for all your feedback and support. Your passion for the best SAFe possible has driven us to deliver what we now like to think of as the most adaptable framework in the world.
—Dean, Alex, Richard, and Inbar
Dean Leffingwell, CEO and Chief Methodologist
Alex Yakyma, SAFe Principal Consultant and SAFe Fellow
Richard Knaster, SAFe Principal Consultant and SAFe Fellow
Inbar Oren, SAFe Principal Consultant and SAFe Fellow